Finance Department - Pet Licensing
The number of cats and dogs permitted in a residence, building, or lot in Skokie is restricted by ordinance as follows:
- Single-family residence properties are allowed a maximum of 2 dogs and 4 cats.
- Single-family apartment or condominium properties are allowed a maximum of 1 dog and 2 cats.
All cats and dogs in residence are required to have a pet license and to wear the license tags when off the owner's property. Dogs or cats visiting or temporarily at the property need not have a Village of Skokie license, however, they must be have a current rabies inoculation and the numbers of pets in total cannot exceed those listed above.
- The fees are $12.00 per dog or cat if the animal is not neutered or spayed.
- The fees are $6.00 per dog or cat if the animal is neutered or spayed.
The purchase of a dog or cat license can be done in person or through the mail:
- An application form must be completed and submitted with payment.
- A current copy of the rabies certificate must be presented with the application.
- Veterinary proof of neutering or spaying must be included with the application if applicable.
- A renewal form for pet licenses will be mailed annually to the owner's last registered address in June of each year.
- Pet licenses are available for purchase throughout the year.
- Pet licenses expire August 31 of each year.
Pet licenses are available for purchase at the Collections Division window on the first floor of Skokie Village Hall, 5127 Oakton St, Skokie, IL 60077. Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Village Hall is closed on Saturday. The Village apologizes for any inconvenience. A payment drop box is located in the parking lot on the north east corner of Oakton Street and Floral Avenue. Payments for Village of Skokie water bills, parking tickets and other non-moving violations, and miscellaneous invoices may be made 24 hours a day, seven days a week online by clicking here.
Please call the Finance Department - Collections Division at 847/933-8423 for further information.